Skip to main content

Android dominates U.S. smartphone OS market


According to June date from Nielsen, Android(despite mounting legal challenges) has claimed the top spot in the U.S. smartphone OS market. Figures have it as:
1.    Google Android comprising 39% of the market, i.e on about four out of every 10 smartphones sold in the U.S.
2.    Apple iOS a distant second at 28%,
3.    RIM BlackBerry OS, dragging its feet at 20%,
4.    Windows Phone 7 at 9% and
5.    HP WebOS and Symbian (both at 2%).
This should not surprise Nokia owners, given what seems like the gloomy lack of Nokia smartphones in US.

Few interesting tidbits:
  • Android moved up to 39% from 29% between November and January, a rise that has come at the expense of BlackBerry, which fell from 27% to 20% over the same period.
  • Apple’s iOS has grown 1% since November to January period. Meanwhile, Windows Phone 7 and Windows Mobile lost a point over the same period, falling from 10 to 9 percent.
Simply put, that's a reflection of the fact that Apple is the only outfit churning out iOS devices, whereas a bevy of companies led by HTC, Motorola, and Samsung have helped make Android the dominant OS in US.

On the hardware front, Apple takes the title of top manufacturer. RIM finds itself tied with HTC for manufacturing 20% of the smartphones. However, splitting up Android, HTC leads among Android manufacturers at 14%, trailed by Motorola at 11% and Samsung at 8%.  Others (LG, Sony Ericsson, Dell, Acer, Huawei, etc) get lumped together at 6%.

It’s interesting to see the list of top Android manufacturers because it’s composed of exactly the companies Apple is pursuing legally for patent infringement. The leaderboard could change significantly if Apple succeeds with its claims. Analyst Toni Sacconaghi of Sanford Bernstein wrote that Apple is looking to “upend” Android’s momentum. And if it prevails and forces Android makers to undertake costly or difficult workarounds, it could help pump up Apple’s market share by up to 10%.

These results are all well and good, but they come right on the cusp of change. IDC has put out some big projections that have Android and Windows Phone 7 on top by 2015. But we will see how the legal battles play out, what kind of real oomph the fading Nokia brings to Windows Phone 7, and what kind of turnaround BlackBerry can muster. Also, next few months will be interesting to see how the landscape changes once iPhone 4S/5 and Galaxy S II line are released.

Popular posts from this blog

Roko mat Toko mat

Bachpan se bada koi school nahi, curiosity se badi koi teacher nahi.
There is no greater school than childhood and no greater teacher than curiosity.

Parle G(the largest selling brand of biscuits in the world) asks parents to encourage their child's curiosity and creativity in its campaign called 'Kal ke genius'. While the song has an '80s feel, it is the soul of the film and is written, sung and composed very well. The song aptly encapsulates the philosophy of the campaign. It is urging people to let their kids be just kids and let them explore if they are curious.

Parle-G's Glucose biscuits always evoke a sense of nostalgia. The ad in a nice way talks about the increasing parental control and societal pressures that make kids these days spend more time in study classes than learning through exploring new things. Curiosity is actually the best teacher. Unfortunately, it is just the kind of a thing which parents often discourage. In fact, we keep stopping children fro…

I'm Deepak Ravlani, and This Is How I Work

Like so many heroes of the startup world, I started early after college. Now, with years of experience in Technology behind me, it has become a lot easier to polish my workflow and get lots of stuff done. Let's talk about my workspace setup, go-to apps, best life hacks, favorite gadgets and tunes. In my free time, I work on a few side projects, including Blogging and managing several communities over Google+. Since launching in Dec 2012, +Project Glass community has become one of the fastest growing community. With  more than 2500(and counting) users and a thriving community of Glass fans, needless to say, the past few months have been crazy for me. Last time I went through this, it was 2008. I was using different apps, but did have sort of productivity system that really helped me get things done. In last few years, I've picked up a few tips and tricks along the way and I've been making some small changes here and there as I get more comfortable with my flow, So this time…

Wedding Cum Reception Card

Hi Everybody,
Well somedays back I got a request from one of my friend that I should make the invitation card for his wedding cum reception. Well I was shocked to know that my friends perceive that I am a designer too. I am quite thankful for this perception of you all people but I feel sorry to say that I don't have any designing skills. So I just finalised with him that I am ready to write the content for your card but not the design,& thank God he agreed, as according to him I have a good content writing skills. So I just wanted to verify from you people that whatever I have written is perfect enough for him. As he is my one of good friends so I don't want any problems with it. So please help me to make it a success. And pls. do not copy it for any of your friends as I have already patented it from USA PATENT CO.

AKASH Weds VANI
Venue: All India Radio Station.
Special Attraction: This is a Marriage.
Instruction Manual: Do read before coming.
1. We request you to please come,p…

Your phone isn't just a phone anymore

According to O2’s(UK based telecommunications company), recently released report about smartphone usage, smartphones are being used in ways that are remarkably different from the way we used phones five years ago.
Smartphone users spend more time browsing the internet (25 minutes a day), social networking (17 minutes a day), playing games (14 minutes a day) and listening to music (16 minutes a day) than they do making calls (12 minutes).We spend about 11 minutes a day on email, 10.2 minutes on text messaging and when you total it all up, we stare at our smartphones for a whopping 128 minutes i.e over 2 hours a day. Whoa! But wait there is more. The study shows that phone has also started to replace a range of other possessions:
Over half (54%) use their phones in place of an alarm clockAlmost half (46%) have dispensed with a watch in favor of using their smartphoneTwo-in-five (39%) have switched to use their phone instead of a separate cameraOver one quarter use their phone instead of a…

What makes the Nexus 4 Special

After a long wait, I finally got a chance to put my tinkering paws on Google and LG's lovechild. The verdict? Google Nexus 4. It's simply phenomenal. The phone is just attractive. Very solid-feeling, and the Gorilla Glass front and back give it a jewel-like appearance.
After trying to decide between Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy S4, and the HTC One. I found SGS4 plasticky and not a flagship device. Also, it wasn't as fluid as I've got used to after using Nexus devices. HTC One was much better. It felt great in hand, the speakers sounded great, and it was smooth. But, then I really came to a conclusion that I couldn't ignore, all of these phones will be outdated in a year and just plain old in two years. With Nexus 4, even though hardware would pale in comparison to next gen. devices, but software inside it would keep it fresh for me to use it on daily basis. So, I went with Nexus 4(N4). It certainly feels in the same league as the HTC One, to me, and better than the SGS4.…